What’s really in a name?
Naming your boat goes back to the early days of sea-faring when names were given for logistic reasons, much like today’s registration numbers. Tradition continued through and with it the lure of superstition. Legend has it that Poseidon/Neptune (depending on which deity you prefer, Greek or Roman) keeps The Ledger of the Deep, a scroll containing all of the names of all of the boats. If your boat name is on the list, you’re in luck, Poseidon or Neptune will protect your boat. Not on the list? Godspeed on the seas.
Luckily, a naming ceremony with a sacrifice of champagne to the sea is all it takes. Stuck on a name?
Last month, BoatUS announced the 2017 Top 10 List of boat names and their meaning. The BoatUS 2017 Top 10 Boat Names:
- Serenity: The utter calm and quietude boating brings
2. Seas the Day: A nautical wordplay on the Latin saying “Carpe diem,” taking boating to its fullest
3. Andiamo: “Let’s go!” in Italian and a perennial favorite boat name
4. Irish Wake: Mourning and merrymaking after the death of a family member or friend
5. Freedom: Patriotic name that first appeared on the Top 10 Names List in 2004
6. Adagio: Italian for “at a slow tempo.” Represents how boating reduces stress in our hectic lives
7. Ohana: From the Hawaiian culture, meaning “family” in an extended sense
8. Oasis: A fertile spot in a desert where water is found; symbolizes boating’s ability to refresh and nourish our daily lives
9. Happy Ours: A playful take on the good feeling you get at the afternoon communal cocktail time
10. Firefly: Making the list for the first time, it’s thought that the kids picked this one
With the unpredictability of the waters, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a boat without a name!
We get it! At SWITLIK, even with our line of survival products, we are not ones to tempt fate. Employees at SWITLIK are dedicated fishermen, sailors and cruisers, each with their unique stories and boat names. Check out some of our boat names!
Feelin Crabby and Son of Crabby
Enterprise (sailing with a Switlik hat!)
Related PostsAre you Prepared for Safe Boating?
A boater's paradise--five top ports